Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Oh say can you see, rhetorical gazes?

By the dawns early light, I wake up and put my shoes on, grab my backpack and head out to learn about english on Tuesdays. I am thankful for this opportunity. 

Although early, I am still able to retain information enough to explain it all you to. I live for my blog followers. I probably have one on this blog. And it is probably my professor (shout out to Mr. Marchant!)

I'll make this quick. Rhetorical Gazes!

Rhetorical gazes are a tool that writers use to direct their audience to feel, act upon or think a certain way. Tools! (Love ‘em!) Try applying this to your next draft and see if it changes the way your audience perceives your piece of literature. Adding pictures always helps readers understand and comprehend what you are trying to write about or prove. People like pictures. It wakes up part of their brain that wouldn’t have been awoken if they just read black text. The different types of  rhetorical gazes are categorized into a couple different branches; familial, travel, consumer, or national.  Familial gazes are normally pictures of family, friends, pets, your home; anything really that creates feelings of nostalgia. You remember your childhood home and you have emotional connections with it better than someone who found the old picture at a thrift store 20 years after the house was sold. From here on out things get less personal. Travel gazes, for example, are gazes used in travel magazines, or even on facebook. It is normally used to make you want to travel, to get out there, to feel the sun shining in the picture and to jump into that baby blue water and let it consume you in its 80 degree entirety. National gazes are used to create a pride; a feeling of patriotism. Sometimes though, politicians use it for (duh) politics! In class today we discussed how someone who doesn’t want Hilary Clinton in office will post a very ugly picture of her to paint her as an ugly person, or a person you do not want in office.


The picture I chose to show you I categorize as familial. I’m sure whoever’s sons are on this tractor are hard workers and they make their family proud. Even the kids themselves can look back on this and laugh, remembering the summers they spent waking up early to help dad harvest all day until dusk, where they-- tired, dirty and humble-- ran into the house to get supper from mom.  


No comments:

Post a Comment