Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Blog and Effect... wait

CAUSE and Effect, my bad. All of this blogging has me thinking about just one thing; yes, blogging.

So as children, we all knew cause and effect. Our mothers taught us, our teachers taught us, and life in general taught us. I mean these were as simple and as complex as life is.
Mom:
"If you go in the pool, you won't get dessert tonight."
What did I do? I went in the pool.
Teacher:
"If you talk one more time, I'm sending you outside."
What did I do? Whispered one last thing to my partner. At least it was sunny outside.
Life:
"If you sneak out tonight, you will pay for it in the morning."
What did I do? Spent the whole day hiding from my mom praying she wouldn't find out, or notice the bags under my eyes.


So yes, we already know the concept of cause and effect. But we can use this as a tool in writing, and if used effectively, it can make the story. I mean if you layer the cause and effect scenes on top of each other, you can create a nail biting, real-life story that makes sense to your readers, and is also easy to connect with.
I mean if you just say the cat got stuck in a tree and the fireman got it down, I'm yawning already. But if you say the cat got stuck in the tree so the girl got married, that makes no sense either. You need layers.
The cat got stuck in the tree
the fireman got it down
the owner of the cat was so happy
that she introduced her daughter to the fireman
who happened to be the same age as her daughter
and they had the same senior year english class together.
they also both love to go out to dinner
so whatta ya know, they go out
they fall in love
he proposes
the girl gets married.

Layers people! Cause and effect aren't just what their title names them. They can both be causes of something and also be effects of something. You just have to lay out the timeline right.

No comments:

Post a Comment